On Sunday, October 20, 2013, St. Hedwig Parish of Chicago celebrated its 125th Jubilee. Archbishop Francis Cardinal George OMI celebrated the Eucharist with concelebrants Auxiliary Bishop Alberto Rojas, our Fr. General Bernard, USA Provincial Fr. Gene, present Pastor Fr. Thomas Wojciechowski, C.R. and seven former Resurrectionist pastors of the parish, among others. St. Hedwig’s was also founded by Fr. Vincent Barzyński, with his brother Fr. Joseph Barzyński, C.R. serving as first pastor after the parish church was blessed on December 4, 1888.
The Eucharist, as well as a Jubilee banquet celebrated afterward in Skokie, IL, reflected the multi-cultural history of the parish, which has seen immigrants from Poland, Mexico, Puerto Rico, South America and the Philippines actively involved over the years. The longest-serving member of the clergy at St. Hedwig’s, octogenarian Gilberto Cintron, a native of Puerto Rico ordained to the permanent deaconate more than 35 years ago, continues to be active with his wife Maria. The Jubilee celebration capped a year-long focus on the theme: “One Body of Christ” (see logo).
Founded in 1888 by the Congregation of the Ressurection, St. Hedwig Catholic Church serves a diverse population of parishioners from Chicago and the suburbs, including the Polish, Latino and Filipino communities.
Posted on Oct 2013,